On October 26th, 2010, at 9 weeks old, Phoebe Rose was diagnosed with high risk MLL + Infantile Leukemia. On November 18th 2015 , she took her last breath. This is her story of hope and love in the face of cancer and despair. Phoebe always brought the joy and continues to inspire us to make a difference. It is best read from the beginning. Thank-you for visiting.

Saturday, July 2, 2011

A day out and a first word

Phoebe has now been in her little room on 8B at Sick Kids for 60 days.  She has had a lot of interaction with her many different doctors and nurses, but for the most part it has been a very quiet 2 months.  I have noticed that she has also been quieter than usual which I think is to be expected as despite all that we try to do to stimulate her and to make her environment interesting, it is a very small and very white room and Phoebe was very ill for many of the past 60 days.

We have a lot of catching up to do and what better way to start than with a day pass. Today Phoebe had a whole day in the big city with her big sister, Jon and I.  Mae and I walked to Sick Kids just after lunch and found Phoebe there waiting for us with a big smile on her face.  We got into the car, strapped Phoebe into her seat and her big smile got even bigger.  I think she knew that it was going to be a good and different day.  Mae and Phoebe held hands across the seat while we drove around and searched for a quiet park.  It was a hot day today so we didn't stay very long outside.  I think the heat was a bit much for Phoebe, she has been in an air conditioned room with fans blowing from every angle for the past 60 days.  She was a bit fussy while we were outside, but calmed down once she got back in the car and the warm summer breeze started to blow in through the windows.

Later in the day we went back to what Mae calls the "city house" and Mae was so excited to show her baby sister her room and all of her toys and books.  Phoebe was very excited to be with Mae and every time Mae went to give her a hug she smiled another one of her huge smiles.  Then after dinner, Phoebe went back to the hospital with her daddy and as if the day wasn't perfect and wonderful enough, once they got back into Phoebe's little room, Phoebe said her first word.  "Dada".  And then she said it again and again ...

No comments:

Post a Comment