On October 26th, 2010, at 9 weeks old, Phoebe Rose was diagnosed with high risk MLL + Infantile Leukemia. On November 18th 2015 , she took her last breath. This is her story of hope and love in the face of cancer and despair. Phoebe always brought the joy and continues to inspire us to make a difference. It is best read from the beginning. Thank-you for visiting.

Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Almost there ...

Phoebe is doing well.  Today will be her second last treatment of chemotherapy and she has had few side effects. She is nauseous and losing her hair, but those things are to be expected.  Lately, since Phoebe is doing relatively well with the chemotherapy, the focus seems to be on helping her to better develop her skills.  We have had many visits from many different therapists - physical therapists, occupational therapists, speech therapists, all coming to work with Phoebe to help her to improve her skills.  Phoebe is a very busy girl.  She is also not sure about most of them, and she likes to give each new person a hard time, so their visits usually involve some crying and shouting, some pushing hands away, but if they keep their distance, there is a lot of smiling and laughing.  She trusts Jon, Mae and I, but everyone else - as long as they stay back 4 feet, she is happy.  We are working on breaking this "force field" - as our nurses at Sick Kids used to call it, but like any relationship it will take some time.  For now, Phoebe is working hard.  Everyday brings with it some progress.  She is babbling, and making new sounds and words, and her little legs, despite all of their bruises from twice daily injections, are getting stronger and starting to hold her up. 

Mae and Phoebe have had daily visits in the fish bowl, and even though their contact is limited, their connection is strong and each little face lights up at the sight of the other.  We are looking forward to the day, hopefully soon, that Phoebe will be out patient and free to play with her big sister.

As for me, I am preparing to donate my natural killer cells to Phoebe.  I have had check ups, x-rays and blood tests to ensure that I am in good health and so far everthing is set for Thursday.  The procedure is fairly simple, but long.  Both of my arms will be hooked up to an IV for 4 hours, my blood will be taken out, the natural killer cells removed, and the remaining blood put back.  I have been giving my cells nightly pep talks to prepare them for what will likely be the fight of their life.  They have a tough opponent in Phoebe's Leukemia, but I have a feeling that they will do me proud.


No comments:

Post a Comment