Over the past year, Phoebe has had more fevers than I can count. With each fever, her blood was sent away to be tested for any signs of bacteria and infection, and each time, countless times, it came back negative. Not this time. No, this time, five days before we are expected to leave for St. Jude, Phoebe's blood cultures have come back positive for bacteria. This means that she has a bacterial infection in her blood. Because the doctors now know what is causing the fevers, they are once again adjusting antibiotics in order to treat the specific type of bacteria that has been found. They know how to treat it, which is good, we just have to wait and hope that the antibiotics work their magic.
What we don't know is how this will affect our journey to Memphis, and we probably won't have any answers to that question until Monday. When Phoebe spiked a fever on Friday, we were told that as long as she is well and her cultures come back negative, she will still go even if she is on antibiotics. Despite all that is going on in side of her, Phoebe, as usual, looks good. She is smiling and loves her playtime. This morning as I was taking out her mat, she started to laugh and pull herself up in her bed, to try and get a closer look, or maybe she was trying to get out, either way she was very eager to start playing.
We are taking things one day at at time, and hopeful that this obstacle won't affect our trip to St. Jude. Everything that is within our control, is under control - our flights are booked, our bags are slowly being packed, and we are preparing ourselves and Mae for the move. Mae continues to tell everyone and anyone that she meets that she is "going to Memphis!" - and I think this time I am going to follow her lead. As long as we keep believing, it will be.