On October 26th, 2010, at 9 weeks old, Phoebe Rose was diagnosed with high risk MLL + Infantile Leukemia. On November 18th 2015 , she took her last breath. This is her story of hope and love in the face of cancer and despair. Phoebe always brought the joy and continues to inspire us to make a difference. It is best read from the beginning. Thank-you for visiting.

Monday, May 6, 2013

All went well yesterday. Phoebe was sedated for her MRI, bone marrow and lumbar puncture. She was well taken care of by the nurses and doctors at CHEO. The MRI nurses remembered us from the scans that found the devastating pelvic mass and were happy to see that Phoebe recovered and is doing well.

As I sat in the waiting room, our doctor, who personally did the procedures, came out with the package of tubes, all filled with Phoebe's bone marrow cells to be sent to St.Jude. They should be arriving shortly if not already, and we hope to have some results by the end of the week.

The MRI is looking at Phoebe's belly and pelvis and essentially for any evidence of disease as we know that this is an area where her disease once filled. The lumbar puncture looks for leukemia cells in the spinal fluid as this is a site that is high risk for relapse. Phoebe also had chemotherapy injected into her spine yesterday. Something that she has had many times and our doctors want her to continue every three months, just in case. She is doing well and although she was a bit tired after her big day, she perked up when we picked Mae up from school. She is always at her best and happiest when her big sister is close by. She asks Mae the same question almost every day after school. "Did you have fun, Mae?", and when Mae answers yes, she smiles, happy to know that her sister is enjoying her day.

Yesterday, Mae told her class all about our walk for CHEO this weekend. She told them that it was to help kids with cancer. She is doing her part to raise awareness too. Bless her heart.

Phoebe is on day four of a five day pulse of steroids as part of her maintenance therapy and she is surprisingly extra cuddly and clingy, not the feisty girl we are used to. She is experiencing mood swings as a result of this drug and would be happy to only eat sushi, for each meal and snack. When I put her dinner in front of her last night, she looked at it then up at me and said "where's my sushi?".

We are back to CHEO for blood work this week, and hopefully MRI results, so we can relax and enjoy the weekend with good news.

No comments:

Post a Comment